It’s about time.
Courtesy of WaPo:
Megyn Kelly might be experiencing deja vu.
In the fall of 2016, she had begun to see her position at Fox News as untenable. Her comments, offered on book tour, about the sexual harassment she says she suffered at the hands of Fox exec Roger Ailes grated on colleagues so much that they began calling her “Me-again.” Jealousy in the cutthroat newsroom was further fueled when the network’s owners offered her $25 million a year to stay at the channel, even as she openly considered options elsewhere.
Kelly decamped soon after for NBC where she is — for now — host of the “Today” show’s 9 a.m. hour, but she hasn’t left newsroom tensions behind. Even before her comments earlier this week about the palatability of wearing blackface for Halloween, she’d found her NBC News colleagues could be as unwelcoming as her old Fox compatriots.
Two people familiar with internal negotiations said that Kelly’s “Today” show hour will stop airing, although the timing and details remain uncertain. She has split with her CAA agent and briefly worked with another agency, United Talent Agency, before dropping that firm as well.
The relationship between Kelly and NBC News Chairman Andy Lack — who wooed her to the network in 2017 with the promise of freedom and a large paycheck — had been strained for months. As previously reported by the New York Times, the two spoke earlier this month to discuss how the show was not working and to figure out a way forward, possibly with Kelly adopting a different role.
“Given the circumstances, Megyn Kelly Today will be on tape the rest of the week,” an NBC spokeswoman said.
We have also learned that Kelly’s talent agency is dropping her.
Courtesy of the Hollywood Reporter:
CAA is no longer working with Kelly, The Hollywood Reporter learned on Wednesday. CAA declined to give a reason for the split, but a source says the Megyn Kelly Today host sought new representation because the agency also reps NBC News president Noah Oppenheim.
To replace CAA, UTA co-president Jay Sures had been in talks to sign Kelly and had been courting her before Tuesday’s blackface backlash, in which Kelly said on her 9 a.m. show that she didn’t understand why people couldn’t wear blackface on Halloween. Sures is said to have backed out of representing Kelly on Wednesday amid the controversy. A source close to the situation says Sures’ decision came after he made at least one call to NBC News president Noah Oppenheim and had set a meeting with NBC for Friday on Kelly’s behalf.
Then later on Wednesday, Kelly hired attorney Bryan Freedman, one of Hollywood’s top talent-side litigators. The move is a sign that she is gearing up for a fight with NBC that could lead to her exit. She will not appear on the Thursday or Friday episodes of her show, according to sources.
To this day I have no idea why NBC thought it was a good idea to hire Megyn Kelly.
Just because she was a big star on Fox News, a cable news network where if you don’t step on your dick during a segment you are considered a genius, meant that she had what it takes to handle her own show on an actual big-time network.
The quicker they can throw this never has been onto the trash heap the sooner she can get started on that conservative talk radio show that was essentially her destiny all along.